Top food blogs

Friday, October 14, 2011

Yarim qovurma karam shu'rva (Half fried cabbage soup)


I love thick and flavorful soups! "Yarim qovurma karam shu'rva" is just the right one for me:) It is thick, healthy, nutritious and just yummy! You can skip the part, where I mash potatoes and keep them whole, I mash them because I like to make my soup smooth and thick.
Ingredients:
Half of chicken
60 grams of butter
1 big onion, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and cut in thin strips
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Half of medium sized cabbage, thinly shred
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut in medium chunks
1 tsp of ground or crushed coriander
Half tsp of cumin seeds, crushed
2-3 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Fresh chopped greens
Put chicken in cold water and bring to boil. Scoop out all of the foam, lower the heat and let it simmer for about an hour. Add in potato chunks and cook until potatoes are soft and mushy. Take out all of potatoes and set aside. In another pan, melt 20 grams of butter and fry onions, until slightly golden in color. Add in garlic and carrot strips and fry until carrot is soft, but not mushy. Set aside. Separately melt 40 grams of butter and put in all of the cabbage, cover the lid and cook over low heat until cabbage is finely cooked.
Finely mash potato chunks, until smooth, adding some chicken broth. When it is smooth and without any crumbs, add it back into the soup. Now, add in all of the fried vegetables and spices. Cook for about 10 min, add in salt and take from heat. Cover the lid for 5-7 minutes and then serve sprinkling some fresh chopped greens over the soup. Chicken is served separately. Enjoy!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Malika,

    A BIG thank you!
    I was so stressed when it was about cooking.... I moved in with my boyfriend recently, and I was always facing tremendous problems when it was time to prepare something to eat. He is from Tashkent, as you, but I am Romanian... and he is not a big fan of our cuisine, unfortunately, for me :)
    I cooked manti and plof and borsh so many times... and did not know any other recipes.
    I looked over your blog and seriously, it was as if a fairy came to help me... There is no more "What to cook" question, now it turned into "Which one of all these to try first" question.
    Thanks so much!
    I'd better get moving! I intend to cook this half-fried cabbage soup, and some chicken kabobs with vegetables, and samusa with potatoes...
    Great blog! Congrats!

    Best,
    Iulia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lulia, you made me smile out of happiness with your positive comment! Thank you for kind words! You are so welcome to my blog!!!

      Delete