Top food blogs

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ku'knori urug'lik kulchalar (Poppy seed buns)


I love poppy seeds! Pity that, you can't find it where I live, so I brought them from Uzbekistan, use them rarely and usually for a special buns:) Today I am posting the recipe of my favorite poppy seed buns and hope you will enjoy!
Ingredients:
500 ml of milk
50 ml of vegetable oil
2 sachet of dried yeast (2 tbsp)
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sugar
Plain flour as needed
1 cup of sugar
100 grams of butter
1 cup of poppy seeds
1 egg
Heat up milk, add in salt and sugar, mix until sugar is completely dissolved. Add in oil and add in yeast. Start adding flour (sifted twice) until you will form soft and a little bit sticky dough. At the end, oil your hands and knead the dough for about 5 min. Cover and let it rise for 1.5 -2 hours.
Take the dough and divide a portion. Roll this portion on a oiled surface in to narrow oval shape. Now, grease the entire surface with a soft butter, sprinkle some sugar (to your taste) and at the end, sprinkle poppy seeds. Softly press down the surface with the palm of your hands.

Roll it around itself forming a log and evenly cut it out into 1-1.5 inch pieces.

Put these pieces on their flat side and grease with an egg yolk. Cover with a cotton towel and let them rest in warm place for about 10-15 min.

Bake in preheated oven until nice golden color.
You can make different shaped buns, and cinnamon also can be used for the sprinkling.
Some more photos of my buns:
Heart

Rose

Cinnamon and poppy seed spirals

4 comments:

  1. Those are lovely. I wonder if you could explain some time how you make those shapes? I have never seen anything like the rose or heart and can't figure out how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willow, sure, I will make a post about "how to":)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very lovely! At what temperature do you bake the rolls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, my oven is not a modern one, so I never know the temperature of it:) I bake them on medium heat, on the middle tray.

      Delete