Top food blogs

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gushtli manti (Manti with meat)


This dish is one of the oldest recipes in Uzbek cuisine. I guarantee that from the very first bite you'll be in love with it!
I have to mention that in original recipe you have to use lamb's tail fat, but I understand that it is not possible to get it every butchery, so if you could not find, then you can replace it with butter or olive oil instead.  However, it is the lamb's tail fat that gives special aroma and taste that makes your Mantis juicy, delicious and very nourishing.
We cook Mantis in our special equipment - Mantiqozon, but you can use the regular steam cooker or even bamboo steam plate instead.

Ingredients:
300gr of mutton, chopped in very small cubes, or minced
70 gr fat of lamb's tail cut in medium sized cubes(or 3 tbsp of butter/olive oil)
2 onions, chopped
Cumin seeds, ground pepper
Salt to taste
For dough:
200 gr of  warm water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 medium-sized egg
Flour (enough to make medium soft dough)
Sour cream (for serving)
Chopped coriander leaves

Mix salt with warm water, add in slightly beaten egg.  Gradually start adding flour to make a medium soft dough that does not stick to your hands. Cover the dough and leave for 15 min. While the dough is resting, in a separate bowl add in meat, onions, salt and all the spices. Mix all together thoroughly.
Roll the dough thinly (you can use dough rolling equipment instead), cut in to the 2x2 inch square pieces. Don't worry if they are not the same size:) Put 1 tbsp of meat, and 3-4 cubes of fat in each square. Pinch the corners diagonally, and again pinch sides together. Place Mantis in a steamer and cook over medium heat for 40 min.
Serve with sour cream, and chopped coriander leaves. Mmmmmm yummy:)
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

11 comments:

  1. I love manti! My grandmother when visiting us from Russia one year brought the special manti cooker and we made them all together. We didn't have lamb's fat though and must have just used olive oil. That's very interesting to note though that the lamb's fat makes it better. We ate the cooked manti with sour cream and also with a Georgian adjika / tbilisi that was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocadopesto:) I give the original recipe here, which meant adding lamb's fat. But Olive oil is also great substitute for lamb's fat. I also usually make "Manti" with olive oil or clarified butter, so it's O.K. And they will surely taste great too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malika clarified butter is that regular butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, clarified butter is "purified", "boiled" butter. In order to make clarified butter, one should cook it over medium heat. Fine butter will turn to dark yellow liquid and there will be sand like excesses, which are also suitable for eating. Butter, clarified in this way, can be kept for a long time and tastes much better:)

      Delete
  4. I like it, I love it, I want more of it!
    This was great! Thank you! :)
    A.N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A.N, that was a really positive response:) Thank you darling!!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you Malika. :)
    A.N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I would like copy some text from your blog. I am going to do that for my application. I will refer to your blog in my application so you will have more visitors. :)
    Waiting for your answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes darling as long as you refer to my blog I am fine with you using text from my blog:) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. How much salt do you put? I either make it too salty or saltless. Also the dough seemed alittle salty. Is it 1 table spoon or tea spoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asya, this is one of my oldest posts. Thank you for the comment, it is 1 teaspoon of salt. But at times I add a bit more to taste.

      Delete